Thursday, February 3, 2022

roadtrip to the end of the world


A rare review from me. Even rarer that it is a music review. I don't really like to write about music too much because I'm not musically inclined myself - despite all the music I consume. It's rather difficult for me to articulate the myriad of emotions and sensations I feel as I'm listening to a song. Also, believe it or not, I'm not in the habit of trying to quantify the "goodness" of any piece of art or media. As much as I can, I try to evaluate works on their terms and on how well they achieve their objective without involving too much of my own personal biases. Easier said than done. WITH THAT BEING SAID, let's get on to this review, shall we?

Artist: Sadesper Record
Album: A Sort of Sound Track for U.F.O
Genre(s): shoegaze (kinda), electronic, Avantgarde

I legit did not like this album on the first listen. I just didn't get it. The only song I liked was Lose Your Sight, a cool little song that starts off with twinkling synthetic notes and then hits you in the face with some aggressive guitar juxtaposed with shoegaze-y female vocals. I dig it.

But after the first listen, the album was still on my mind so I gave it another go and it just really clicked the second time around.

The clues are in the name of the album, A Sort Of Sound Track For U.F.O., and the album art's tagline, New Cinema Centimental RoadMovie. I realized this was more akin to a sonic movie experience than just a regular musical listen. I imagined I was in some sort of post-apocalyptic desert landscape, on a road trip to the ocean.  

We begin our road trip with Download, a twangy guitar number that kinda sets the mood for the desert landscape for me.

Then the album blazes into Lose Your Sight, and I imagine we are just cruising on the empty roads for a while.

With the next track, Wrist/Blast On, it feels like we are speeding up to make it to the ocean before dark but we don't make it time.

And then night reaches and its Insanity, which starts off with some fireworks-like sounds and on the first listen I thought it was trash and I was gonna turn it off because I didn't want to listen to fireworks for two minutes. Imagine my surprise when some calming synth plays and drowns the fireworks out. It makes me envision standing outside looking at fireworks going off in the sky, and the peaceful calm after as they slowly fade away. We are just a few songs away from the ocean.

Before reaching the ocean I reach a Metal Charch, for rest. To be honest, the misspellings are probably due to the band being Japanese and English is probably not their first language, but in my fiction/sonic experience - language has evolved in blended and church is now charch. Either way, after some very intense opening tracks (especially Siesta, which I don't like and won't write about lol) it was nice to slow down with Metal Charch, a choral hymn-like song that is just too short.

The album ends on the beach, near the ocean (in my mind) with Whitsheep Walks, a chill electronic piece that wraps up the album perfectly. The road trip was a success.

Overall, this obscure little ablum isn't amazing and it has that indie kind of sound and production to it - it feels unpolished in many ways but I think that adds to the charm. It was a very interesting listen and it's nice to take a break from the more traditional and normcore sonic landscapes. If you're tired of your musical landscapes, why don't you take a road trip with Sadesper Record?

No comments:

Post a Comment

a history of hauntings pt 1

As emotional as I may seem to people, I am a fairly logical person. I always defer to established facts and science, even for phenomena that...